Friday, March 9, 2007

Chili

Today I am making chili...I love a big bowl of steamy, spicy chili on a cold day. Nothing better, especially when it is topped with creamy cheddar cheese and some crumbed crackers. So, here is my (dad's) chili recipe. I apologize in advance for all posts, as I never really measure spices and seasonings- I just throw it in to taste.


Dad's Chili

1 pounds hamburger
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 can tomato paste
2 package chili seasoning mix
1 can chili beans in zesty sauce, undrained
2 cans kidney beans, drained
1/4 white onion, chopped
cayenne pepper (to taste)
kosher salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)

Place hamburger in a crock pot. Cook on high until browned. Season with cayenne, salt and pepper. Add white onion. Cook 20 minutes longer, until onion is almost translucent.
Add tomatoes, sause, paste, beans, and 1 seasoning packet. Cook on high until hot and bubbly. Add remaining seasoning packet to taste. Serve hot with crushed crackers, shredded cheese, and onions, if desired.

No comments: